Last week, we told you that Park City High School's Jake Nelson was named Best Teen Chef in Utah, and that he was headed to Houston to compete in a national competition. Today he's came in-studio to cook up his entry for the upcoming contest, and here's the recipe:
Spicy Chicken with Veggie Reduction
By: Jake S. Nelson
Number of Servings: 2
Chicken 2 breasts
Chili Powder 1 teaspoon
Ground Cumin 1 teaspoon
Oregano leaves 1 teaspoon
Salt and White Pepper As needed
Olive Oil As needed
Tabasco 1/8 teaspoon
Whole garlic head 1 (to roast for mashed potatoes)
Garlic 3 cloves minced
Russet potato 1 peeled
Butter - unsalted 4 tablespoon
Heavy Cream 1/4 cup
Zucchini 1 cup julienned
Squash 1 cup chopped
Red Pepper ¼ cup diced
Green Pepper ¼ cup diced
Red onion 1/8 cup diced
Yellow Onion ½ cup
Cider vinegar 1/8 cup
Chicken stock 1 cup
Sugar 2 tablespoons
Chili pepper 2 tablespoons
Mushrooms 3 large or 5 small
Tomato 3 total (2 chopped and 1 sliced)
Flour As needed to thicken sauce
1. Take a head of garlic, cut off top, add olive oil and roast in oven for 40 minutes
2. Combine chili powder, ground cumin, oregano leaves, salt and pepper to create a rub for the chicken.
3. Wash chicken breasts and pat dry. Lightly oil with an olive oil/tabasco mixture and then coat with rub. Refrigerate
4. Prep and cut zucchini, squash, red pepper, green pepper, red onion and set aside
5. To make vegetable reduction sauce add 1 tablespoon butter, 1 tablespoon diced garlic and ½ cup chopped yellow onion to a sauce pan and cook until fragrant. Add 1/8 cup cider vinegar, 1 cup chicken stock, 1 tablespoon sugar and 2 teaspoons of chili pepper. Cook to reduce.
6. In a sauté pan add 1 tablespoon butter, mushrooms, salt and pepper to taste and cook until mushrooms start to change color and liquid forms. Add two chopped tomatoes and cook until tomatoes are tender.
7. Add mushroom/tomato mixture to the sauce and mix together. Take off heat and puree with immersion mixer. Return to sauce pan, add cream to taste. Use a flour and water mixture to gain desired thickness.
8. Sear chicken in frying pan and finish in 250 degree oven.
9. Sauté vegetables al dente.
10. Salt and pepper tomatoes and sear in a hot sauté pan.
11. To plate put mashed potatoes in the top middle of the plate. Surround with seared tomatoes. Add chicken strips to make tower on top of potatoes or slice breast and stack slices. Create a long half moon on right side of plate with vegetables. Pour small amount of sauce on top of chicken and make decorative swirl in on the lower left of the plate. Garnish with parsley.