NORTHERN UTAH SKI AREAS – 8,000 UNCROWDED ACRES, ABUNDANT SNOW
Three resorts collectively offer diversity and value
(Ogden Valley, UT) Alpine sports enthusiasts who are searching for unique resort towns that are rural in nature, incredibly beautiful, with genuinely friendly locals need look no further than the area known as the “Ogden Valley” in Northern Utah. Within minutes of your accommodations you’ll find an assemblage of three distinctly different ski areas offering a combined 8,000 acres of famous Utah powder and not a traffic light in sight. The Salt Lake International Airport is a short distance from the Ogden Valley (45 minutes from Huntsville and 50 minutes from Eden) and encompasses the brand new scenic Legacy Highway.
The Ogden Valley is a collection of three mountain hamlets called Eden, Huntsville and Liberty which are surrounded by three ski areas – Powder Mountain, Snowbasin and Wolf Creek Utah Ski Resort (formerly Wolf Mountain.) The readers surveyed for SKI Magazine’s annual Top Resort survery gave great scores -– Powder Mountain ranked #1 for Value and #3 for Snow, while Snowbasin was ranked #1 for Lifts, #2 for On-Mountain Food and #3 for Service.
This high mountain valley offers a broad selection of newer condominiums, private homes, hotel, and Bed and Breakfast options at prices that will astound you! Everything needed for a memorable vacation is available: groceries, restaurants, gift shops, catering services, spa and salon services, art galleries, fitness centers, equipment rental, banking and liquor store.
When planning a trip with value in mind, remember that there are certain times of the winter season where you’ll find the most favorable pricing. Early and late season you’ll often find great lodging packages and mid-week is almost always a better value. Adult daily lift prices are a bargain ranging from $32 to $62 depending on the resort. The best deals are generally lodging packages that include passes or multi-day lift tickets. Families will appreciate that children 6 and under ski free at Powder Mountain and Snowbasin while Wolf Creek Utah Ski Resort offers a free pass for those 5 and under. Seniors receive a free ski pass at Wolf Creek Utah Ski Resort starting at age 70, Snowbasin at age 75 and Powder Mountain at age 80. Complimentary shuttle service is available to the slopes from most lodging properties in the Valley.
Sign up for the OVBA email newsletter and receive the latest lodging, recreation and dining specials twice a month. You can register at www.ovba.org. And, if there’s an organizer amongst your friends, group pricing kicks in with 20-25 participants depending on the resort. All three resorts are offering locals Learn to Ski/Board specials in January so it's a great time to get the more timid family members to try, or get back into, winter sports.
Powder Mountain’s Snowcat Tour offers fresh powder lines off Lightning Ridge
Middle Bowl at Snowbasin Resort
Family-Friendly Wolf Creek Utah Mountain
Wolf Creek Utah Ski Resort (formerly Wolf Mountain) is a gem of a family area, with 100 acres of surprisingly diverse terrain, and possibly the best beginners’ area in the state. Three lifts service the mountain plus a Magic Carpet for newcomers and a full staff of PSIA certified instructors to get folks started. Value is the name of the game here, and The Wolf, as its known locally, offers Utah’s largest night skiing operation. Kids passes are $20, adults are $32. www.wolfmountaineden.com or (801) 745-3511.
A sampling of lodging packages* as of press time include:
- The Columbine Inn at Powder Mountain offers ski-in, ski-out hotel rooms starting below $70 and condominiums from $150 (sleeps 6) www.columbineinnutah.com.
- Lakeside Resort Properties features a Weekend Ski Vacation starting at $110 pp/pn - 3 nights lodging in luxury 2 bedroom condo and 12 lift tickets! Details at www.lakesideresortproperties.com.
- Powdercondo offers a free daily lift ticket with weekly rental, Ritz Carton Beds, SONY Flat Screen TV's and Free Internet. www.powdercondo.com
- Snowberry Inn Bed & Breakfast offers private room and bath, full hot gourmet breakfast daily, ski lift tickets & delectable dinners. www.snowberryinn.com
- Utah Resort Reservations offers great WEEKLY rates for ski-in/ski-out Powder Ridge Condos at Powder Mountain; availability Martin Luther King and President’s Day holiday weekends. www.utahresortreservations/specials.com.
- Wolf Creek Utah Lodging is offering Utah residents the the Family Fun Pack starting at $88 pp/pn including premier lodging accommodations, two lift tickets to Wolf Creek Utah Ski Resort, a horse-drawn sleigh ride, $50 Club dining gift certificate and $50 gas card. www.wolfcreekutah.com/lodging/specials.php or (800) 301- 0817.
*Restrictions apply to all lodging packages; please visit listed websites for specifics.
Find more detailed information on lodging, recreation and dining options in Ogden Valley and Ogden Canyon at www.ovba.org. Check out the collection of skiing and snowboarding videos, including resort special events, at “OV TV” on OgdenValleyMagazine.com.
The Ogden Valley Business Association (OVBA) is dedicated to serving the Ogden Valley Community and businesses. Its purpose is to enhance the quality of life for citizens of Ogden Valley and Ogden Canyon through the promotion and development of community and economic resources including arts, culture, education, human services, tourism and community service.