It seems sort of strange to think about flooding in Utah when we're in the middle of a drought, but when we go from very dry conditions to sudden downpours, flooding is a big possibility (even here in Park City proper).

Here's some flood info from the folks at FEMA (how about that - they're getting proactive, rather than just telling you what to do after your carpet is soaked!). Enjoy.

Though flooding happens to residents in every corner of the United States, many homeowners and business owners remain unaware they can purchase federally-backed flood insurance from National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP). But the truth is, as long as your hometown is an NFIP community, the vast majority of homeowners, business owners and renters can get flood insurance.

NFIP urges residents who are not protected with flood insurance to remember the flood insurance basics:

You CAN get flood insurance nationwide.

You CAN get flood insurance if you live in a floodplain or high-flood-risk area.

You CAN get flood insurance if you live outside a floodplain, or a low-to-moderate flood-risk area -- and at lower cost.

You CAN get flood insurance if your property has been flooded before.

You CAN get flood insurance from insurance agents in your area.

You CAN buy flood insurance even if your mortgage broker doesn't require it.

The most important fact consumers need to know is that most homeowner policies do not cover flooding; it's imperative that consumers visit or call 1-800-427-2419 to learn their individual flood risk and find an agent near them to discuss their protection options.

Thank you.


Tips for Filing Your Flood Insurance Claim

If your community has been flooded, and your property or home has suffered flood damage, please follow these instructions to file your flood insurance claim.


· Call your agent or insurance company. Have the following information with you when you place your call: (1) the name of your insurance company (your agent may write policies for more than one company); (2) your policy number; and (3) a telephone number/e-mail address where you can be reached.

· When you file your claim, ask for an approximate time frame during which an adjustor can be expected to visit your home so you can plan accordingly.

Once You Have Reported Your Loss

Ÿ An adjustor will work with you to calculate the value of the damage and prepare a repair estimate.

Ÿ Please keep your agent advised if your contact information changes. If you are still in a shelter or cannot be easily reached, please provide the name of a designated relative or point-of-contact who can reach you.

Before the Adjustor Arrives

· Local officials may require the disposal of damaged items. If you dispose of items, please keep a swatch or other sample of damaged item(s) for the adjustor.

· Separate damaged items from undamaged items. If necessary, place items outside the home.

· Take photos. Take photos of any water in the house and damaged personal property. Your adjustor will need evidence of the damage and damaged items (i.e.: cut swatches from carpeting, curtains, chairs) to prepare your repair estimate.

· Make a list of damaged or lost items and include their age and value where possible. If possible, have receipts for those items available for the adjustor.

· If you have damage estimates prepared by a contractor(s), provide them to the adjustor since they will be considered in the preparation of your repair estimate.

· Contact your insurance company if an adjustor has not been assigned to you within several days.

For more flood insurance information or to learn your flood risk, call 1-800-427-2419, or visit www.